Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Nerd, geek or dork?
Techie Lesson #1

First, let me ask you, what's the difference between a nerd, a geek, and a dork? I googled it. My favourite answer was 'We've been called all three, and to be honest, we always assumed they meant the same thing. However, according to the cool kids, there are differences.' So there.

I thought I'd share all the techie tricks I picked up here and there from nerds, geeks and dorks :-) I'll try to blog general tricks without engaging in the mighty viewer battle. I am myself on Emergence for various reasons but I will not spit on you if you are on another one. If there is anything I can help you with, feel free to IM me inworld. So I went back to my books and notes and here we go, lesson #1. Ready?

Lesson #1

* The 'Cloud' avatar problem
1.Show the "Advanced" menu with Ctrl-Alt-D, or Opt-Ctrl-D on a Mac.
2.Choose Advanced > Debug Settings.
3.Type renderunloadedavatar. It autocompletes.
4.Select TRUE.
5.Close the Debug Settings window and restart the Viewer.
(illustrated below)

Lesson #1 The Cloud problem


* Matching RGB colour - for skin, feet, ears and anything else really!
How do you pick the exact colour of something you want to match up?
1.Show the "Advanced" menu with Ctrl-Alt-D, or Opt-Ctrl-D on a Mac.
2.Choose Advanced > Debug Settings.
3.Choose UI > Show Colour under cursor.
4. Your RGB colour code will appear in white at the bottom right of the screen.
(illustrated below)

Lesson #1 Matching RGB


That's all for today! Oh don't you love my desk? It's free from Magic Nook, including pencils and books.

No comments: